Author: Randeep Singh / go to all articles on Yoga cure
Yoga Asana for Diabetes
Diabetes is a constitutional disease, or the disease which affects the functions of the entire body. Ones the body gets invaded with diabetes it majorly stays for life.
One needs to carry on with one’s life by learning to manage the disease in a healthy way. Yoga asana for diabetes help one manage diabetes the effective way.
Diabetes management with yoga is one of the most effective ways of keeping the ill effects of the disease at bay, and leading a prolonged, healthy, normal life. Diabetes becomes like one’s partner for life, and since the patient has to lead his life with this partner understanding this partner well can make life more comfortable and easy to lead.
Pancreas is a gland resembling a bunch of grapes in form which is located under the liver inside the abdominal cavity. The main hormone secreted by the pancreas is known as Insulin. The job of Insulin is to regulate the transportation of food within the body just like the traffic police regulate the traffic on the roads in a city.
If the number of traffic police is less in a city the traffic on the road will get jammed, similarly if the amount of insulin produced by the pancreas is less then the transportation of food in the body also gets jammed. The sugar which was absorbed into the blood from the digested food remains in the blood only and does not reach the cells where it is required.
As the cells do not receive sufficient amount of sugar for their functioning they become more and more hungry. This enhances the hunger of the patient suffering from diabetes. The increase of the sugar level in the blood sucks away the water from the cells which in turn increases the thirst of the patient.
Moreover the blood loses the capacity to clot, in case of any injury, due to the presence of excessive sugar in it. Thus the patient of diabetes run the danger of bleeding profusely if met with any injury. Other signs of diabetes include general weakness, cramps , burning sensation in the feet etc.
Asana for Diabetes Mellitus
The diabetes cure with yoga begins with an advice on the diet. The patient of diabetes should eat adequately, but never in excess. Most of us only eat for the tongue and not for the body; we love eating that food in excess which is more pleasing to the taste buds than which is healthy for the entire body. A diabetic must eat nourishing balanced diet, and that doesn’t mean a rich diet drenched in ghee and nuts.
The diet which is rich in ghee and nuts may be good for laborers and the sports people, but not for someone with limited physical activity. Yoga for diabetes help the patients to bring in internal as well as external discipline in their lives. Yoga asana for diabetes helps by altering the patients response to stressful situations., yoga for diabetes modifies the patients behavior.
The structure and composition of our Yoga camp on diabetes, which are regularly held at our yoga retreat center at Shahzadpur farm, has been designed to cover all aspects of managing diabetes with yoga. Physical activity, diet, and mental tranquility are the three principles with which one can control diabetes. If one deviates from these three principles then handling of diabetes with medicines would be necessitated.
Yoga asana for diabetes form the perfect physical activity for a patient of diabetes. Diabetes can take severe turns like loss of eye sight, kidney failure, heart failure, even paralysis if the plan of diabetes management with yoga is not followed in strict terms.
Diabetes can be easily managed with yoga exercises for diabetes for many years together people have successfully lived with diabetes anywhere from 25years to 60 years by regularly practicing yoga asana for diabetes. Diabetes is like a seed which will grow into a full-fledged plant if the circumstances for it to flourish are made available.
Diabetes thrives on rich food, and stress, cut out the supply of these two and the diabetes naturally comes under control. The roots of diabetes can also be in one’s heredity, still yoga for diabetes can adequately equip the patient f for managing the disease along with leading a healthy and fulfilling life.
Why Diabetes Cure with Yoga?
- Yoga reduces weight, help underweights to put on weight proportionately.
- It enhances blood circulation and lowers the cholesterol and triglyceride levels, helping prevent any heart related issues to which diabetics are easy targets.
- It does away with the possibility of sudden swings in the blood sugar level, which can invite diabetes, by relieving emotional and physical stress, if left unmanaged, stress can be fatal sometimes.
- Yoga helps reduce the number of insulin receptors, this lowers the blood sugar levels.
- It enhances the absorption of blood glucose by the muscles, which in turn lowers the blood sugar levels.
- Inclusion of Yogendra Rythm (a kind of breathing pattern) with yoga asanas enhances the benefits of yoga manifold.
- Yoga helps exercise every tiny gland in the body.
- Yoga helps by completly harmonizing the body, mind, and the spirit.
- Yoga asanas are simple techniques, easy to perform and not tiring by nature, is conducive to all age groups as yoga can benefit seniors immensely.
- Yoga endows the practitioner with maximum vital index in comparison to other form of exercises.
- Each yoga asana has a health value attached to it, it is either preventive or curative for different medical conditions.
- In yoga the development of the muscles is balanced with the peak functions of the vital organs.
Points to consider
- Select a well ventilated, secluded place free of any distractions like smells, wind, moisture, and insects.
- Practice yoga on a mat, or a blanket, never on bare ground.
- Adhere to proper guidelines for practicing asana.
- Oay attention to the action, attitude, and alignment aspects related to yoga practice.
- Establish a routine by practicing at the same place, same time daily, incorporate the principles of alignment in yoga in your practice.
- Condition, or steady the mind by staying still in any pose, for a while, before you begin the practice.
- Breathe only through the nose, the mouth must be kept close throughout the practice.
- Avoid jerky breathing, keep it smooth, deep, and slow.
- Yoga is best practiced at early morning on empty stomach, or after a gap of at least 4 hours after the last meal if practing at other times of the day.
- In case you miss the time scheduled for the practice, try making up for it at some other time of the day in order to maintain the regularity of the routine set.
- While doing breathing exercises learn about, and follow the tips for enhancing the benefits of pranayama.
Yoga Exercises for Diabetes
Other Informative Articles….