Author: Randeep Singh / go to all articles on Yoga Concepts
How much do you know your Heart? Check with this Self Test
Know your Heart Test:
1) How many chambers does
the human heart has?
2) On which side of the body is the
a. To the left
b. To the right
3) heartbeats are caused by an electrical current that originates in the
c. heart itself
d. The heart beats automatically and is not dependent on an electrical current
4) What is the medical term for a heart attack?
a. Cardiac failure
c. Myocardial infarction
d. Cardiac asystole
5) What exactly happens in a heart attack?
a. The blood supply to the heart muscle is blocked
b. The heart stops breathing
c. The heart beats but no blood is pumped
d. The brain looses control over the heart
6) Heart attacks are usually preceded by another condition. Which?
c. Lung attack
7) Which of the following could be the symptom of heart attack?
b. Severe perspiration
c. Intense chest pain
d. Up rolling of eyes
e. Squeezed chest feeling
f. Breathing difficulty
8) What would you do (in sequence) if you saw someone manifesting symptoms of a heart attack?
a. Inform the patient’s relatives.
b. Loosen the patient’s clothing
c. Send an urgent call for medical assistance/ ambulance
d. Prop up the patient ( in a semi reclining position)
e. Open up the windows and allow in fresh air
f. Reassure the patient
g. Undertake Cardio-Pulmonary resuscitation
9) What does ICCU stand for?
a. Intensive care and central unit
b. Invasive cardiac care unit
c. Intensive coronary care unit
10) What is done in a coronary bypass?
a. The heart is bypassed
b. The blocked blood supply of the heart is bypassed.
A new heart chamber is created, bypassing the old.
11) What is pacemaker?
a. A device to generate and regulate heart beats.
b. It paces the heart in accordance with the load on the patient.
12) Do all heart attack patients need bypass surgery and / or a pacemaker?
a. yes and yes respectively.
b. No and yes respectively.
c. No and no respectively.
d. yes and no respectively.
13) A treadmill test is a test
a. To assess heart efficiency
b. To assess brain and heart efficiency
c. To assess lung and heart efficiency
14) What is commonly referred to as a hole in the heart is
a. A hole in the outer wall of the heart
b. a hole between two heart chambers
c. A cylindrical hole passing through the heart
15) Sex after a heart attack is
a. Not possible
b. Can be undertaken only once in 15 days
c. Can be attempted only with the woman on top
d. Practically the same as before but with a few precautions.
Answers – Know your Heart?
2) a Though it is more or less in the center, more of it is to the left. In an extremely rare congenital defect it might be to the right. (Dextrocardia)
3) c The point where it originates is the S.A. node. It is these electrical impulses that are recorded on an ECG.
6) b While in a heart attack the blood supply to a part of the heart is blocked, in angina it is temporarily obstructed, causing pain which later subsides.
7) All except d, g, and h
8) C, d, b, e, f, a (g is to be undertaken if no pulse is felt)
15) d Though after a minimum of six to eight weeks and after the doctor says yes.